Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hello New Chicago

After living in this city for almost 5 years, I have found that I have become incredibly proud to be a Chicagoan and also very interested in the direction my new home is headed. I think that right now is a very exciting time to be in this city. I think there are a lot of changes going on, as well as a lot that can still be done.

Some of the more impressive events on the horizon are all of the upcoming architectural advancements. There were quite a few more than I originally knew about. The Trump (96 floors, 2009) of course, will be completed first. Say what you will about the man and his hair, the building is beautiful, large and a welcome improvement over the old sun times building. The Chicago Spire (150 floors!! 2011), which recently broke ground, is probably one of the more controversial buildings, due to its size and design. I encourage you to view some of the interior renders, simply stunning!

There is also a slew of buildings going up that have received far less publicity but are none the less breathtaking. Waterview Tower (89 floors 2009) is a great looking building going up on Wacker. Aqua (82 floors 2009) love it or hate it, is looking at architecture in a whole new light. The Legacy (73 floors 2009) is one of my favorite looking buildings, and literally builds upon the past. One Museum Park (62 floors 2008) is absolutely beautiful, and what a location! And these buildings are the ones just under construction.

There are also approved buildings that haven't started construction but are highly anticipated none the less. Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago (78 floors 2010) looks to be amazing, as well as Canyon Ranch (64 floors 2009).

Two buildings defiantly worth mentioning that are proposed but haven't been fully approved are the towering Waldorf Astoria (109 floors 2012) and 375 East Wacker Drive (76 floors 2010).

By 2010, only two short years from now, the skyline of Chicago will be completely different. How exciting! I hope by then I have enough money to get a condo in one of these amazing buildings. I also hope that with all these new architectural developments, Chicago will continue to be a leading Alpha city of culture and style. If we are lucky, this will pave the way for more great buildings.

I'm sure there are plenty that I left out so please fill in the gaps!

No comments: